Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming

Where can I obtain wiring scematics for a Vivitar 636AF Flash

Customer Question

Where can I obtain wiring scematics for a Vivitar 636AF Flash Unit. Any ideas will be appreciated very much.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  1ohm replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

There may not be any specific schematics in the wild but the flash should follow simple diagrams. If the flash is not responding, there may be a burnt out lamp, bad connection, or a leaking capacitor in the charge circuit. The neon indicator lamp is an important part of the circuit.

Here is a link to a typical flash schematic. The schematic should be similar to yours but there may be different batteries used and capacitor types used depending on their design:

If this information was helpful, choose accept. If further assistance is needed, we are here to help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am familiar with capacative discharge systems. What I am not acquianted with is the wiring from the missing hot shoe to the board. The 5 leads are color-coded, but there is no indication on the c board as to the termination point. My understanding is that the 636AF was used on several different makes of cameras and not all hot shoes used the same number of contacts, or were they wired in the same way.Obviously I need the correct schematic to fathom out what goes where. Any further would be appreciated. By the way, Vivitar no longer has this info. Thanks much so far,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need the specific schematic, which is what I asked for. I have enough schematics to last me for a long time, but I don't have the specific one I need. Without the 636AF for a C. anon my only recourse is to play a time consuming game of "Guess What Lead Goes Where?" I don't play games. No schematic no go.
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
Closest thing i came close to what you are looking for is:

"#22456. Original Parts Booklet: Vivitar 636AF Electronic Flash, October, 1987 30pp, large format, illustrated. Exploded views, specs, circuit diagrams. Does not include repair instructions, but still valuable. $10.00"

Hope it help you.
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
If that answer did help you, please click accept for 1ohm or me or we will not get paid.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the great effort, but "circuit diagrams" does not tell me a whole lot. I specifically need a Schematic. If there is not an accurate schematic for the 636AF Canon module then it will be of no use to me. I have "circuit diagrams". in my file drawn by my Dad for his spark transmitters. I sure in hell couldn't build one from these, no values, no componet data, no info on homebrew coils, etc..