Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Certified Electronics Technician. Fiber Optics

I have an old Fisher model RS-9005 stereo receiver. When I

I have an old Fisher model RS-9005 stereo receiver. When I push the power button the standby light comes on, but the remote control will not boot up the power and take it off of standby. Any ideas?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 years ago.
Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know: You are using the remote to initially turn on the receiver, correct?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, it will not come on at all - just stays in the stanby mode. I can't use it at all.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 years ago.

Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

There are several ways you can check the operation of a remote control:

1. Replace the batteries.
  2. Turn on the receiver manually to make sure the receiver is not the problem.
  3. Hold the remote near a portable/broadcast radio. When you press the remote you should hear a gurgling sound.
  4. Use an infrared indicator card. It changes colors at the presence of an infrared signal.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think it is the receiver. I do not want to use the remote control anymore, but the receiver will not come on to full power. Any way to bypass the remote altogether?

Thanks,

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 years ago.
Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know: Does this receiver have a manual power button or no? What do you want to accomplish by the way of bypassing the remote?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, this unit has a manual power button. Just above the power button is a light that indicates "power standby". This light remains on after pushing the power button and the remote will not take the unit off of standby. I do not want to use the remote anymore, but can't get the unit off of standby.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 years ago.

The power button may be defective or shorted. Or it may just need to be toggled loose. The control IC may be set on "logic high" if it is controlled digitally. Depending on the age of the receiver, there may be a relay connected to a resistor shorting out the standby LED switch. Those are some places to start. I don't know the extent of your electronics background so I would recommend having it serviced.

Nathan, Technician
Experience: Certified Electronics Technician. Fiber Optics