Rod, Systems Engineer
Experience:  FCC Commercial Licenses, BSCS, ASEET, 40+years Electronics & Communication Systems
14090506

I cannot get my DVD player to work correctly on my Sharp flat

I cannot get my DVD player to work correctly on my Sharp flat screen tv. It is not the player because it works on other tvs in the house. When I push play there is a black box that appears at the bottom of the screen blocking the images on the movie. Is there some way to make that black box go away?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
Hi Cheryle. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

What is the model and manufacture of the DVD player, and the model of the Sharp TV?
How are you connecting the DVD player to your Sharp TV?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rod,

The tv is a Sharp SRS Focus. I bought it in 2002

The DVD player is a SONY DVD/VHS SLVD300P

I am fairly sure it's plugged in the proper ports. We tried a couple of different DVD players that work on other tvs but none would work on this tv. The movie actually comes on like it should but that black box is definitely there with every DVD player.   

Thanks
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
Hi Cheryle,

I will need the actual model number of the TV - as the SRS/Focus is a series and their configurations are different. It will be something like: LC-22SB24U

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rod,

It's LC 37HV4

Thanks!
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
Hi Cheryle,

Are you in the UK? That TV model is a UK TV and uses PAL. The DVD/VHS recorder
is an NTSC - it won't work on that TV. Has this worked before?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rod,

I'm not in the UK. I'm in North Carolina.   I actually used to have that SHARP TV in my living room and it worked with a DVD player at the time. It's been in my bedroom for a few years now. I was able to use a dvd player before. Do you think it has something to do with programming the tv? \
Thanks.

Cheryle
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rod,

It's actually 37HV4U I didn't see the "U".    Also, it says it was manufactured in 2003 so i was wrong about 2002 purchase.   I bought it in San Francisco before moving to NC
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
Hi Cheryle,

Did you purchase this overseas - there are models that this is mulitple mode PAL/SECAM/NTSC - does the model number have an E or EB after it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rod,

No, I purchased it new at an electronics store in San Francisco called THE GOOD GUYS.

There is no E or EB after the model number.

Thanks. I sure hope we can figure this out!
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
Hi Cheryle,

Think I got it figured out for you. I believe you are feeding the DVD/VHS player into the component inputs and not the composite inputs. The DVD/VHS player has three cables to connect to the TV, while component uses five cables. On the back of your TV to the left are two blocks of round connectors - next to the antenna inputs (ANT-A, ANT-B). The first block is inputs 1 and 2. Place the yellow cable (video) from the DVD/VHS player into the center round connector (should be colored yellow) and the red and white connectors to the right of it (should be colored red and white). That center row is input 1 for composite video and audio. If that doesn't work try the next row to the bottom - same connections - they will be input 2.

You should then be able to select the input from your remote and see the video and have sound.

Have a Prosperous New Year!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it okay if I try now first?
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.

Hi Cheryle,

Of course! Try it and ask more questions if necessary. Even if you pay - you
can still ask for clarification after the fact. But I prefer you try it first.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rod,

I got the DVD player to work by doing as you said with the cables but now I cannot get my regular TV to come on the screen. The sound is there but none of the inputs listed on my TV will allow the picture to come on. It goes through a cable box so I don't know what I could have done to cause this.

The black box was still on the screen when I first put on the DVD but it went away when I pushed the CC button. There was no closed caption so I don't really get it. We had tried all those buttons before with no luck so I think moving those cables did the job.   

What should I do to get my regular TV back on the screen? It doesn't even work when I turn the DVD machine off completely.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
Hi Cheryle,

How are you connecting the cable to the TV? You need to select the input that the cable connection is going to - Input x or Antenna 1, ect. If you have the cable going to the Component inputs that are the same as the Composite inputs that you placed the DVD on, you need to move one or the other to an unused input (can't have two different types on the same input). You have four inputs to use.

Rod, Systems Engineer
Experience: FCC Commercial Licenses, BSCS, ASEET, 40+years Electronics & Communication Systems
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay,

I'll go fiddle with it and get back soon!

Thanks.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
Okay Cheryle,

Do you have your manual? Look at the diagram closely, it is a little confusing, as they use the same blocks for component and composite. They have lines that show the inputs (1,2,3,4) but the RCA connectors are grouped together.