Edward
Edward , Technician
Experience:  Electronics Technician for 40+ years. Electronics has been my hobby for 50+ years.
3134513

need to fix dvd player that will not turn on

Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the unit? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the unit?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair will be?

If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have?

What type of test equipment do you own?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the model is a denon 557 dvd player just over one year old. i believe a power surge may have damaged the unit even though i install a whole house surge protector/panel guard on my electrical panel when i built my house. the red power light will not come on the unit and i believe the power supply may have been damaged. i have an electrical multi tester. i would ultimately like to fix the unit myself.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

The power supply failing is a very good possibility. Check for blown fuses, burnt parts, burnt places on the circuit board and loose solder connections. Failing capacitors are something that can often be detected by looking for bulging and leaking capacitors. Sorry to say not all capacitors that are defective will show actual physical signs that they are defective. Be careful when checking the player since dangerous voltages will be present.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i have checked for all of those things you mentioned. no burnt fuses, no burnt part on circuit board, soldering looks good, and the capacitors are not bulging. So what exact part should i replace?
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. You have done everything that can be done without more test equipment and the training to use it. Sorry to say but with the high cost of labor the repair will likely cost more than the value of the unit to have it repaired. You can visit Denon's web site by clicking here.

Regards,

Edward