Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  Electronics Technician for 40+ years. Electronics has been my hobby for 50+ years.
3134513

How to reset the TV that is locked up or is it just broken

This TV (Vizio VX32L) stopped working last night. The power was turned on by a child and maybe the menu was access for parental control (unknown). Then a blank screen. Now the power will not turn off and the buttons on the side do not work.
I unplugged the power cord, and plugged power cord back in; the amber "VIZIO" lights up like its in standby. After pushing the power button on the side, the "VIZIO" lights up white, and a few seconds later the screen lights up, but there is no picture or sound, and the buttons on the side do not work. The menu will not appear, the input will not change, and the power button does not turn off the power. I have to unplug the power cord to turn the TV off.
I have unplugged all signal connections on the back, and the same thing happens. I have left the power unplugged for hours and still the same thing.
Is there a reset button? Can the parental control be reset?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

How long have you owned the TV?

What is the longest time you had the TV unplugged?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I bought the TV brand new (Jan 2007) and have had it for 1 year 3 months. The longest time I have had it unplugged since this problem has occured is at least 12 hours.

The TV was working properly with no fails for the last year. Normal I use the cable box remote to operatet the TV in watching cable channels. I use the TV OEM remote to switch the input of the TV to play the xbox 360 and change menu items like sound. My son during the night, used the TV OEM remote to turn on the TV, and he decided he wanted to use the cable box remote. It is unclear what happend and what buttons were pushed, but it is possible the menu came up and he hit the right arrow that calls up the parental control page. The TV documents says that a password (defaut 0000) needs to be entered to continue, but I have never use this funciton before. As stated in the first question, after the TV powers up, the screen is locked with nop picture or sound, the buttons do not respond (on the TV or the remote) to bring up the menu or input, and not even the power button to turn off the TV responds.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Sorry to say there is no reset buttons on the TV that will allow it to work. The power reset that is done when the set is unplugged can at times make the TV operate again. The 12 hours left unplugged would have been time enough if it was going to reset. As far as passwords I do not believe that is the problem since the lock would not stop the TV from working or displaying the menu. I am not positive but it sounds like the service menu has been accessed. Once in the service menu lots of damage can be done if the improper buttons are pushed. The TV will have to be serviced to correct the problem. Another possibility is that the safety circuitry is keeping the TV from powering up since it is detecting a problem. Here again the solution is to have the TV serviced unless you have the skills and the electronic test equipment needed to diagnose the circuitry and make the repair. You might want to contact Vizon Technical Support at their Toll-Free telephone number(NNN) NNN-NNNN for their recommendation of a shop in your area to repair the TV.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

Edward, Technician
Experience: Electronics Technician for 40+ years. Electronics has been my hobby for 50+ years.