Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut since 1974. Home Theater advisor. Vinyl holdout!
329447

My Magnavox HDTV wont turn on. Its ...

Customer Question

My Magnavox HDTV won''t turn on. It''s like it is stuck in standby mode. How can I get it to turn on?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 years ago.

Hi. Can you tell me the model number of your TV?

Do you see any lights? LEDs?

Do you hear any noises? Buzzing? Humming? Sizzling?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Magnavox 19MF337B LCD TV And the power button is currently red. I guess that is an LED light? I don't hear any noise. This has happened once before but my friend turned it on and it worked for him. There was a power surge/outage in my dorm last night but the TV plug is on a surge protector so that should not be a problem right? Thanks so much for taking my question.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 years ago.

Hi again. Most cheap surge protectors don't do a lot but I don't know if yours is a cheap one.

Regardless, you have a problem with the TV and if I was standing there next to you, I would open up the TV and check the main fuse.

This fuse is located on the circuit board very close to where the power cord is plugged into the board. If you do not have a meter, simply replace the fuse with exactly the same rating.

I would check that first. Hopefully that's all it is. If not, I can help you test a few other easy components.

Steve G., Engineer
Experience: VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut since 1974. Home Theater advisor. Vinyl holdout!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, I am checking that out now. If the fuse is the problem, where can I go to get a new one?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 years ago.

I think Home Depot and Lowes may have household fuses. If not, Radio Shack will.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Alright, I opened up the TV and the fuse was like, glued to the circuit board which makes it pretty impossible for me to remove it and replace it, but I'm pretty sure that the fuse is the problem. Thank you anyway. I have read up on this particular model and some reviews that people have given are that the TV just tends to stop working so I think it is the model or brand or something, which is ironic since I have a Magnavox at home from the late 80's that still works like a charm. I will choose to accept your advice though, as you were very helpful to me. I got it from Best Buy and I think the warranty is still active on it so I'll just take advantage of that. Again, thanks anyway for your help!