Brian
Brian, Audio/ Video Guru
Experience:  Custom Home Theater, Custom Car Audio, Acoustical Specialist, Computers
6457309

I have two cerwin vega se series stereo speakers. The ...

I have two cerwin vega se series dtereo speakers. The rubber around the bottom speaker has worn off. I have e-mailed cerwin vegas customer service several times to find out if this can be repaired and they do not answer me. Can my speakers be fixed? I listen to music still but it just doesn't right. They probably do not sell these anymore do to electronic advancement but I would really like to keep them. They are approximately 21 years old.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Are you referring to the rubber that surrounds the cone on the speaker?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: Brian I guess so-there are three speakers in each and the bottom one is the largest-I don't know if it's cone shape it looks more round

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer.

Yes, It is round, but the part of the speaker that vibrates forward and backwards is called the cone; if looked at sideways, it is cone-shaped. This cone is allowed to vibrate because it is suspended by a rubber or foam or paper perimeter, called the "front suspension surround." Unfortunately, when you have speakers for this length of time, and it often can happen sooner, the surround starts to deteriorate, often drying out and breaking apart. In addition, just the use of the speaker for that period of time, would cause normal wear on the surround. It is not worth trying to fix these speakers themselves. Your best bet is to remove just the speakers that are not good anymore, out of the speaker box, and simply replace them with new speakers that are the same size. This way you are not replacing the entire speaker cabinet/ tweeters, etc. The speaker is usually just screwed in to the cabinet from the outside, under the fabric. A foam tape is often between the speaker and the cabinet to make it airtight.....you may want to replace this when putting in the new speaker. And lastly the speaker usually has two plug wires that you would simply unplug from the old and plug into the new.

If you need further help or clarification on this question, please reply to this post.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please click the green "ACCEPT" icon, if you are completely satisfied with my answer

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK; it is important to me

BONUSES are appreciated

This is a FEE based website & your payment allows us to be here for you

Here is a cross-section thru a speaker.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Brian, thank you so much for all the info-do you do this type of work and if so how much would it cost? the vibration is hard to deal with so I don't listen to it very often-they are big and heavy speakers

I have built my own speaker boxes plenty of times, and I have also replaced worn out speakers, just like the situation you are in. It is very easy to do, if you want to do it yourself......then it would just be the cost of new speakers, which have a high range in prices. I would just get something in the mid-range price. You could research EBAY or your local audio store.

Click here to see how easy it is to replace a speaker.

If you are not comfortable replacing them, then you would have to bring them to an audio store. Some repairers may even come to you.....it would be worth researching, since you say they are heavy. I do not know what the labor cost would be, because I have only repaired my own, but it shouldn't be that much since I can replace one in about 5 minutes.

Best of Luck, Brian

BONUSES are appreciated

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I take it you are not interest in doing this for me-do you know anyone that you could recomend? I really appreciate all of your input
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Brian, I found a speaker repair shop in Garden Grove I will call them on Monday - if you would be interested in replacing my speakers please let me know and once again thank you for all your input you sound very honest