Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I need to ask someone who knows ableton about connecting my

Customer Question

I need to ask someone who knows ableton about connecting my gear up.I have a midi keyboard, an akia wolf step seqencer, ableton with push hardware the first version. A dmx controller but no lights yet. Ipad and iphone drum and all bunch of other instruments.It should be noted that I am a guitarest/drummer/keyboard and singer. I kinda want to be able to control everything and have all my interments ready to rock out. I will send a picture of my setup.I want to have some discussion with someone who has had much experience using ableton. I say this because it is a beast program that requires working knowledge to speak on behave of it. Thanks! Some questions are,What is the best resource for the Ableton community?How do you use ableton just like I use Loopy HD?What are some examples of loopy hd and ableton working together?What is the best way for me to start using my new push device inparticular?I do have access to lynda and have senece the coarse there and may choose to retake once I get my full game plan.What else am I missing?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 5 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 5 days ago.

Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I just picked up a ableton push are you knowledgeable perhaps with ableton?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Also I forgot my manners,,,, Thanks for reaching back out.
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 days ago.

Hi, thanks for your patience. I had to take a couple of days away from the computer. I'm working on your question now, you have a lot of gear for me to understand without being able to see it. However, I think there is enough info here. Give me just a little bit.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 days ago.

Let's start with Loopy HD... It's a completely different program than Ableton. It's made to do only loops. If you wanted to use both together in a live setting, I would suggest using two separate machines, one running each program, then split each instrument so you have an input to each DAW, and a separate output for each.

As for midi, remember that midi is a controller, it contains no audio. Set your midi input channel on your controller to channel 1, as well as your output. Now in your midi settings in Ableton, they should already default to 1. You'll need to assign a virtual instrument to the instrument track. If you try this with an audio track, it will not work.

See if you can get at least Ableton working, and tell me how far you get.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Rusty,Great meeting tou and thanks so much for offering your wisdom onto this and helping me.So I have ableton up and on my hd loopy it has a ableton link. Plus I have the ableton push device as well plugged into my setup now. The ableton hd loopy intgration syncs the tempo I think or something. So this is one question I have as so how the relasonship works between the my laptop running ableton and my ipad or iphone running hd loopy.In the hd loopy app there is a selection that says ableton on it. I will screen shot it
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Also another question I have is about my push device. It has 2 output jacks. Are they input or output jacks I guess is my main question on this. They seem to be 1/4 jacks 1 and 2. What are they for?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Also rusty, Can you answer the questions above as well?
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 days ago.

What is the model number of your push device?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
1 not the 2
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 days ago.

I'm having a hard time locating the rear of the push. Can you send a picture?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Rusty, to be honest I can lookup this basic stuff I was hoping that you had actual hands on exp . I probobly should have said that more clear as well.
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 days ago.

With Ableton, not so much... I'm a sound engineer, so I know how the connections and routing works. I'll open the question back up in case someone else knows Ableton.