Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Tascam CC-222mkIV recorder...getting a "loudness distortion"

Customer Question

Tascam CC-222mkIV recorder...getting a "loudness distortion" when burning a new CD from my CD player, despite the input meter registering a max of 1 with the recorder's menu displays at factory default levels. Not sure what I need to do to eliminate the distortion.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Virtually new
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Haven't tried anything except keeping the input meter lower than in the red zone. Are you experienced with this Tascam recorder?
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you? No. I'm the Instrument Technician's Assistant.
Customer: Will changing the key control or the digital volume control make a difference? Other controls?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That sort of loudness distortion is known otherwise as 'signal clipping'. It happens when an amplifier input is overloaded, to the point where the waveform of the sound going in become nearly a square wave. Which makes it sound both 'buzzy' and slightly muffled or distorted/details of the sounds lost/etc.

If the input to the amplifier is set too sensitively, this can happen.

But also, if the output of the device or microphone going into the amplifier/input, is too loud, or set too high.

So if you have been adjusting it on one side, try adjusting it lower on the other side for sure.

If adjusting both sides downward cannot help with this, perhaps the sound source is not suitable for the Tascam device's input. Let me know more specifics please, and I will advise you further as to what to do. (I would guess a a glance, though, that you need to turn the CD player down, its Volume down, a lot.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Have not had a chance to address this yet due to the long holiday weekend. Will try to adjust the volume of the receiver later today.