Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Accidentally plugged xor with phantom power in line input.

Customer Question

accidentally plugged xor with phantom power in line input. now can;t get any input signal from all 4 inputs. did I fry unit?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: 44vsl brand new
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: overnight tried switching input 1 to 2 tried mic inputs redid system preferences
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: checked the projects they work ok am using garageband
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, both the Mic/Instrument Inputs 1 & 2 as well as Mic/Line 3 & 4 are designed to accept only low level or at most 4dBu+; something like 1.25V or less.

Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

That phantom 48V (or even if 24V) was inadvertently supplied would have damaged the front end / buffer / pre-amp.

The description of "...can;t get any input signal from all 4 inputs..." would have most likely be due to overloaded OP-Amp ICs.

Repairs would be needed.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.