MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Customer Service
Experience:  I repair the electronic end of most amplifiers and fix broken speaker systems.
11519491

My Hammond model M short circuits when I put the big tube

Customer Question

My Hammond model M short circuits when I put the big tube in. The fuse blows and smoke comes out of the space where the tube is inserted
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 23 days ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

How old is your Hammon Model M?

Also may I have the Full molde # so I can assit you correctly?

And what tube and why the replacment etc?

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hi Michael,
The model is a Hammond model M "Spinet" it is around 60 years old.it did not do anything so I replaced the large 5U4GB rectifier tube and the smaller 6BA6 tube. The organ worked perfectly.I disconnected all the wires to remove the amplifier (containing the tubes) and re-finished the organs exterior.To start the organ you push in a START button for 8 seconds and then while still holding it in you switch the ON SWITCH on and wate 8 seconds before letting go of the START button.The START button started the motor but when I switch the ON SWITCH to ON the 2 Amp fuse blows and the organ shuts off. When I remove the 5U4GB smoke comes out of the amplifier through the tube insert holes but the tube is fine.The wires are all original and quite greasy possibly causing a short?Repeated try's with replacement fuses yield the same results.I sent a picture. The 2 empty spots are where the tubes go
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Tubes and organ
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 22 days ago.

Thank you for that info.

Ok, you need to open the unit further and find out what component actually smoked so I can be sure of what needs replacement. It may not be just the part that smoked. If you aren't handy electronically and aren't well versed in Digital multi-meter operations, then you will need to look up a vintage organ repair tech, they have people who can come out to you for this ;-)

I wish I had better news for you on this, I really do. Im sure the tubes are fine as they dont cause this issue, likley a bad shorted capacitor.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely

Tech Michael