ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years' experience in installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Have Roland AT-90 organ, disk drive died, upgrading to USB

Customer Question

Have Roland AT-90 organ, disk drive died, upgrading to USB floppy emulator, but organ does not recoginze the usb drive. Anything you guys know about?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: AT-90, about 15 yrs or so, It has MIDI, which I also want to learn how to connect to a pc to use Miditizer program.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: All worked when the disk drive was in, but I don't know how to configure the organ to see the floppy emulator, It does power up, and can change the virtual drive number, but the organ can't see or read the data files.
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can handle most repairs, with the right information. The local repair guy has not had experience with this instrument, so couldn't help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In case it is important, this was iriginally model AT-90, later upgraded by factory rep. to AT-90R.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 month ago.

So the emulator has been correctly installed (any jumper settings and required dumpers have already been installed?)
And the flat data cable is connected correctly? (the red wire of the flat cable should point to the power connector).

You will also need to ensure that the USB stick is correctly formatted.

You will be able to copy from the USB stick to the keyboard by selecting the "index" on the emulator.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I installed the emulator correctly, the led panel lights up, changes numbers when button is pushed. The usb stick was formatted according to instructions on a youtube video showing how to install & use it. However, the organ computer should recoginze the device whether there is a usb stick inserted or not. There were no instructions as to the jumper / switch settings, that was what I hoped you could help with. It used a 1.44mb drive (not the 720mb, which required a different emulator). Search youtube for instructions for "Floppy Drive to USB storage p1".
I can install the cut-off switch to fool the computer into thinking the floppy has been removed and reinserted, as he describes.
Thanks
Expert:  ITPeter replied 29 days ago.

What is the make and model number of the emulator you are using?