Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years
Experience:  Factory Certified Technician
96084425

1971 vintage 301-3 that hasn't been played in about 40

Customer Question

1971 vintage Allen 301-3 that hasn't been played in about 40 years. Sounded good for a few minutes when started up, then bad static started. My question: Am I looking at something probably minor, or could it be an expensive repair? The instrument has spent those 40 dormant years in a climate-controlled home but has been uncovered and not plugged dor that many years.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Allen 301-3 circa 1971, I believe.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just appeared. I put in a winning bid on eBay when it was listed as working well. I am now informed by the seller that this problem has just appeared as she was checking it. Should I back out or accept a reduction in price and get it repaired?
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The preset pistons may have a problem, but the seller isn't competent to tell me much about that. The case and pedalboard are apparently pristine. I am not a high risk-taker but would love to have this instrument if it is fully functional. It is going to cost a lot to have it moved to my location, so extra expense of repair would be important to consider.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Ron Winston replied 28 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** among others we are an Allen repair center. Some of your questions I can answer and some I do not have enough information on. So lets see how far we can get. Static can be caused by many things but most of them are minor. It can be caused by tarnished connectors, Dirty volume controls, bad computer, Bad transistors, or noisy capacitors. any of which can be caused by age. The first thing you need to do is move the expression pedal and see if you can change the volume of the static. If you can not change the volume that means the trouble is in the amplifier system and probably not expensive. If you can control the volume of the static with the expression control it could possibly be a computer issue. In the Allen organs you do not repair the computer board they are exchanged for a repaired one from Allen. With that age I would look at the foam surround on the speakers they will rot in about 20-25 years that can be repaired for around $60.00 per speaker. If you got it for what you think is a good price, you need to consider the transport charges and because of the problem that is unknown i would try to reduce the price at least a little. At the least buying something with unknown problems is a risk of some kind, But the Allen's have held there value over the years.

I hope this has helped and if you have any additional problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Expert:  Ron Winston replied 27 days ago.

I wanted to check back with you to see if there are any other concerns or questions? If not please rate my answer.