Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

It is a dp-02 dx studio, and the problem is with the dx

Customer Question

It is a dp-02 dx studio, and the problem is with the dx card
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Probably by a few years. I think I may have purchased it in sometime between 1011 and 2013, but can't remember exactly.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I only noticed it today. The studio itself is not the problem. There is only a card I have been using with it that neither the studio nor my laptop van read anymore.
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is just that I backed up the unmastered file for a song today, and can't even use my card to save the backup file.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Put the card into the recorder. Go to your menu, disk menu, select FORMAT. That should bring your card back to life.

Since it had one problem, I would suggest getting a new card, and don't use the one that malfunctioned for anything important, as it's likely to do it again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. The problem is that when I put the card back into the recorder, and turn the recorder on, it does not completely come back on. It just shows the opening and screen for a long time and never comes back on completely, whereas if I turn it off and put another card in, it will come back on completely.
There is a certain file that is on that card and on that card only, and I am only trying to save that particular file to my computer. It is the unmastered backup file to a song that was on that card and that card only, and I was trying to save that file to my computer. The recorder would not come completely on with the card in it, neither would the card show up on my computer screen when I tried using a dx adapter with a USB end. The other dx cards would show up that way.
I might eventually end up just throwing the card away, but before I do, I need to save the unmastered file to that particular song. That is the only thing I am trying to do.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Ok, this is going to be tricky... We're going to have to format the card, then use data recovery and hope for the best. I'm a musician as well, and know how frustrating it is to have a card go bad after you do all the work in the studio.

Put the card in your computer and perform a quick format. Don't do the full, just do the quick format so that it doesn't permanently wipe your data.

www.pandorarecovery.com

That program is what you want to use. Run it on the card, and save to your desktop. Don't save to the card, it will record over the data that you're trying to recover, and it will be a huge mess.

Cross your fingers, this doesn't always work, but if you are going to be able to recover the file, if it is recoverable, this will do it. The files may come up with funny names, and you may have to sift through the files to find what is what. It is not a quick process in most cases.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am afraid we are done here. I can only get pandora recovery in a exe file, which is not compatible with mac. My computer is a mac. I have spoken to a computer tech in my hometown since making this request, and may consider taking it down to them. The computer tech made no promise, but only said he'd try and charge me nothing if it didn't work. I thank you for your time though.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

You would have to use the program with Windows.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

But it's an awesome tool for recovering deleted files.