Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

XHello, Roland VS 880 EX, It says, "No drv" I have started

Customer Question

XHello,
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Roland VS 880 EX
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It says, "No drv" I have started and re-started... no change. there are songs on there I would like to keep, if possible!
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

There is no good answer to your question, owing to the fact that NO DRV means no hard drive has been recognized in your system.

The greatest hope you have of recovering or backing up any songs stored on the device's hard drive is, to

- Turn the device Off.

- wait until it has shut down!

- unplug from the power.

- leave that way for at least 1 1/2 hours to cool down and rest/reset.

- then try it again... just see if it initializes. If it does, if the NO DRV error does not recur, I recommend backing up all data and songs etc. from the hard drive in your Roland device, at once, before it fails again.

(Replacing the hard drive may be the only option, ultimately - or, forcing a re-initialization of the current hard drive, which needless to say would erase all songs and data stored on it.)

Let me know how it goes, please, and I will try to advise you further, into the best possible outcome.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took the hard drive out and sprayed the contacts with some good, non-lube, contact cleaner. Now it works like new! Thanks anyway...

That's good. (Taking the hard drive out first helped, beyond doubt - contact cleaner/lubricant can foul up some electronics and has to be used with caution for good results.)

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

(Be sure to follow my recommendation and back up all the valuable stuff stored on the hard disk to e.g. a flash drive, if possible, as soon as conveniently possible. A hard drive that fails once, may fail again... though I don't know all the circumstances, of course.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will back-up soon. Thanks.
This devoce is not a computer, so no usb.
Propriatary system...

Well, yes, I was aware a flash drive might not be usable on this Roland device.

Memory card? diskette? by cable to another device? there are options to look into.

Cheers, ***** ***** hear the case turned out well so far. Thanks.