jaimzness
jaimzness, Engineer
Experience:  DAW and MIDI techniques. Keyboard and synthesizer programming. Electronic repair.
38010568

Thanks. i can't get my Skype software to see my mics that

Customer Question

thanks. i can't get my Skype software to see my mics that are plugged into the presonus mixer and connected to the computer (mac pro). any help would be appreciated.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: presonus 16.0.2
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: changed the audio preference on computer and Skype to presonus and back to system. nothing happened. i hear the mic on the computer speakers, but Skype is not picking tip the mic.
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I fear you may find this answer disappointing. But it is 100+% fact-based.
All that software on your computer can 'see', detect, etc., is any device plugged into it.

If the mikes are plugged into a mixer, and then the mixer is connected to the computer, the mikes cannot be 'seen' through the mixer. Their input via the mixer may be able to be processed, received, etc. But as devices, they are 'invisible' to the computer... which should be able to 'see'/detect the mixer, though.

Does that square with what you are seeing? Is the mixer detected by the computer, at least? it should be.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is. and it records the mics via logic pro. but when i use Skype, it does not register the mixer. how do i get Skype, or siri, for that matter, to see the mic?

You have to have the mike(s) plugged directly into your computer, for them to register as 'devices' or 'microphones', etc. That's all there is to it.

Try to get Skype to see your mixer, perhaps? though since it is not a microphone device, Skype won't be able to select it as a microphone. Perhaps as an input device, anyway?