jaimzness
jaimzness, Engineer
Experience:  DAW and MIDI techniques. Keyboard and synthesizer programming. Electronic repair.
38010568

How to fix keys that stick on a Sukuki Spinet Digital Piano

Customer Question

How to fix keys that stick on a Sukuki Spinet Digital Piano ST-7
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Ron Winston replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. There are several things that will cause the keys to stick. 1) something fell into the keyboard, like a coin or paperclip, 2) broken or jammed key weight, 3) broken key. 4) The bar the key pivots on is binding on the key. The only way to know is remove the keyboard and look.

JUST A FEW WORDS OF CAUTION!

First when you open the unit up you will expose areas that have potentially lethal voltages! Be extremely careful where you touch if the unit is still plugged in. Pay attention to where the power cord is, the power switch, and any fuses.

This unit has a computer in it. Computers are subject to damage from static discharge, before you touch anything grab some part of the metal frame and ground out any static charge you might have built up. Never unplug or plug in a cable or connector with the power on.

If you feel comfortable removing the keyboard I will try to help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I let you know when I get the keyboard out? I am on PST. What time zone are you in/

Sure. I am in Central Time.

Hello. I was just checking to see if you have had a chance to remove the keyboard yet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I apologize for the delay. I have not been able to figure out how to remove the keyboard and there are about 3 or 4 keys that are sticking. Would you be able to guide me how to remove the keyboard?

There are several different ways they are mounted. First have you got the top and the control panel out of the way? If so There are screws at the back of the keydeck going down into the frame. Then there are more screws coming up from the bottom of the unit on the front of the keydeck. Some times you have to remove one of the end blocks to allow enough room to remove it. Remember there is a ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the boards inside,"it is not very long" Un plug it at one end or the other.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am currently in my office and not at home. I did get the top off and was able to look at the keyboard from behind. I did not try to remove any of the control panels or electrical pieces. I can message you when I get home from work