Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years
Experience:  Factory Certified Technician
96084425

I'm having trouble inputting notes from my MIDI keyboard.

Customer Question

I'm having trouble inputting notes from my MIDI keyboard. When I play a note on the keyboard, I hear it, and see it on the score as a shadow that disappears the moment I take my finger off of the key.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It's a 4 year old HP laptop. I don't have it with me now
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Since updating to windows 10. 1 year. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Sibelius 7.
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Ron Winston replied 2 months ago.

Hi there, I’m Ron, and I am a factory certified musical instrument technician. I see you’re having some problems with your equipment. I think I can help you,

You answered the issue when you said the trouble started when you updated to windows 10. We have seen variations on this issue with a lot of the older programs when you update the operating system. Some programs will not load completely or work and some will load but functions do not work as they should. Per the owners manual it does not work with Windows 10. This is probably because windows 10 was not out when this software was created. See Below

(( Windows XP SP3 (32-bit only), Windows Vista SP2 (32-bit only) with the Platform Update Pack or later, Windows 7 SP1 or later, Windows 8))

It is possible they will have a patch to make it work now. If not you will probably have to purchase a newer program that will work with windows 10. I'm sorry to have to tell you this but if it is any consolation you are not alone in this.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as am happy to address follow-up questions. Please rate me when you are done.