jaimzness
jaimzness, Engineer
Experience:  DAW and MIDI techniques. Keyboard and synthesizer programming. Electronic repair.
38010568

Rusty, I've got an issue with our Korg SP-170 keyboard. In

Customer Question

Hi Rusty, I've got an issue with our Korg SP-170 keyboard. In fact, I think we may have two separate issues.
1. Some keys play loud (I gather this is due to the contacts under the pressure pads). However, first I need to fix a bigger issue...
2. Every 4th key counting from the top one doesn't play, all the way down to middle C. I've got the keyboard totally disassembled and been testing the connections on the PCB but from what I can tell, the top half of the keyboard seems connected OK.
Any thoughts about this? Is the tone generator function split between the top and bottom halves of the keyboard? Any help much appreciated!
Thanks,
Gordon
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I noticed your question had not been answered, so I thought I would ask first: Do you insist on being helped by Expert Rusty? or may I offer advice on this pair of problems with the Korg keyboard you mention?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, I'm happy for you to help! Thanks.

The pressure pads may have to be replaced, if some are louder than others. This can be owing to dirty, or compression with age, or even 'sagging' of the pads springy qualities.

But also, it can be dirt, simply. Spraying in between the keys with an air compressor of the type used to inflate tires, sometimes with adjacent keys pressed down to let more air into the keyswitch area, permits 'repair' of a dirty keyboard with irregular key performance.

The second issue is more abstruse... I'll have to look it up, to be honest.