jaimzness, Engineer
Experience:  DAW and MIDI techniques. Keyboard and synthesizer programming. Electronic repair.

Korg M50....61 note. The sounds are totally distorted. Went

Customer Question

Korg M50....61 note. The sounds are totally distorted. Went through and touched up solder points, distortion is from programs and combi, It also distorts from the main L-R jacks and the headphone out.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Bought it this way. No signs of abuse, touch screen works, etc. I also updated the firmware and reloaded the sounds
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I think it is a bad connection somewhere. I had it on flipped upside down and tapped with a pencil eraser to see if I could cause a change in the output.
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have some rudimentary troubleshooting skills but this is beyond my knowledge I think
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The unit shows no signs of drops, or water, I did replace the power adapter with the correct factory unit for this model.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that it might be a tone generator chip gone bad... but I don't know what the distortion sounds like. Please describe it a bit more.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The sounds are there, but they are buried in pops and noise. Harsh, tinny, but also like white noise, pops, oh, I know, like a bad slider or knob on a stereo and the volume jumps.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I mentioned, I did download all the sounds and reload them from Korg, same problem.

Yes, sounds as if you might have a dirty potentiometer or the like.

Are there any such in it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is one main volume slider. The thing is there is no noise when I move it, the noise only occurs when I play notes.
I already sprayed the unit with tv tuner cleaner.

If there is a keyboard, and the machine is Used, then... you may need to use an air compressor, of the type used to inflate tires, to spray air forcibly into the cracks between keys, to clean the inside of the keyboard thoroughly.

That may not be enough, if it is quite dirty or the like, but it is a thing to try. To see if it improves things.

(I am in Eastern Time, and I regret to say it is very late and I may soon have to resume this case tomorrow... if that's OK? good evening, if so.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok. good evening.

I stand by my recommendation of cleaning between/into the keys, e.g. with adjacent keys pressed down to let more forced-air into the space between them.

The white noise may well mean a bad capacitor(s) somewhere. Look for any capacitor that is leaking, or has a bulging-out top, and replace all of those.

Also, look for brown spots under components, or on the opposite side of the circuit board from components. That can indicate an overheating component, that needs replacement.

Let me know what results you get from my recommendations.

Or if you're done with this case, and don't wish to continue, please rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The internals of the keyboard are in mint condition and there is zero indication of bad caps. The keys themselves are like new, there is no dust or film of any kind. The indicators do not point to contamination of the actual keys. I get equally poor results across all the keybed. Bad contacts will usually result in unique variations from key to key. For example, if I get even volume across the board except one key is low volume, I would troubleshoot from that key. Also if I MIDI into the unit from my other controller, I will still get distorted sounds so that takes the actual keyboard out of the issue. While I appreciate your help, this did not resolve my issue, I do not wish to continue. thanks.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your area of expertise seems to be with computers. I am a systems analyst for a local Government agency and have been an IT tech for 19 years. Not sure why you fielded my question. This is a truly electronics technician level problem so I am out 28.00.

I am truly an electronics technician. If you look into my online profile you will find that I was officially verified as such.

Pardon me - you are not out the money. You have chosen to stop the conversation before it is finished... I can offer more advice I think.

I have no power to issue refunds. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at They may be reached at

Thank you for asking your question here at