Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years
Experience:  Factory Certified Technician

I have a Yamaha grand piano with a disklavier that just quit

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha grand piano with a disklavier that just quit working. Is there any trouble shooting suggestions you could make? Are their service technicians who work on them? I live in Grand Blanc, Michigan
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Ron Winston replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, I’m Ron, and I am a factory certified musical instrument technician. I see you’re having some problems with your Yamaha.. I think I can help you, as I have over 50 years of experience in this area and have helped hundreds of musicians with their problems. Give me a few minutes to look up some information and I will get back to you. If you can give me your ZIP code I will see who is in that area for service.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Is it an upright or a grand style?

Does the unit light up or show any activity at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is a grand and no light come on when I attempt to turn disklavier on

Look at the area where the power cord goes in. See if there is a fuse there, it would be marked fuse some pop out and others have a cap that you push and twist. If it is there try replacing the fuse. Some units had a fuse there and some had the fuses internal which requires removal of the unit.

The Yamaha units are built with compact computer board and are not serviceable by the customers. As a rule when you have a bad board it is completely replaced with another. Those have to be ordered from Yamaha by an authorized service tech. With that in mind there is not anything you can do except check the cords and a fuse if it is present. I'm sorry to have to tell you this , there is no other option.

There is a Yamaha authorized service center about 17 miles away. It is.

All Country Organ Service

Waterford Mi. 48329

(###) ###-####/p>

I hope this has helped and if you have any additional problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you