jaimzness
jaimzness, Engineer
Experience:  DAW and MIDI techniques. Keyboard and synthesizer programming. Electronic repair.
38010568

I smelled smoke of the electrical kind - and they keyboard

Customer Question

I smelled smoke of the electrical kind - and they keyboard shut down and won't turn back on.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: sorry for taking so long. CLP 150 about 12 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It actually happened months ago and I bought a new keyboard because I couldn't discover the problem myself and there are no repair shops for Yamaha keyboards near me. An electrician looked at it and thought it might be the transformer. I'm really not sure.
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about all I can say about that.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me your local zip code... there might be someone (if not Yamaha Authorized) near your location that could help you with the CLP-150.

Or, were you thinking of fixing it yourself? if so, have you obtained a Service Manual or Repair Manual for it? for anything in the way of repairing it yourself, that would help immensely.

Do you have any electronics abilities? or tools and a voltmeter and some ability at using them? fixing this sort of problem will require disassembly (according to the service manual) and some use of those tools, plus some replacement parts, at minimum.

Let me know, by Reply To Expert, what your local zip code is, and the other things I asked about, and I will advise you further.