Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

KurzwEil SP3X. Boots up plays perfectly for about hour then

Customer Question

KurzwEil SP3X. Boots up plays perfectly for about hour then sound stops. Turn it off and restart after a period of time and restart and it boots up and plays perfectly for a while then sound stops.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: SP3X about 6 years
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Started yesterday, Did a hard reset with no change.
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Do the headphones produce sound when it shuts off? Does the screen still function, only the sound cuts out?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Rusty,
The screen functions normally when the sound cuts out. I will get back to you in a little while since I just turned it on, it is working normally but shortly as soon as the sound cuts off I will test it with the headphones to get the answer to your question.
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Let me know, that's a good test of all of the parts of the keyboard.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Rusty, it has cut out and the answer is, there is no output to the headphones but the screen is functioning just fine..
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Ok, now how about a demo song, or percussion? Any sounds from the machine at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No sound from anywhere on it
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Ok, let me think on this for a while. At first though, I think you have a processor that is hanging up, which is not good. That requires special equipment to solder a new one in, and it isn't cheap. Let me wrap my brain around the symptoms and see if I can think of something else to try first. At this point, I think you will need a Kurzweil repair shop to fix the processor. I say it's a processor because it fixes itself when you turn it off and on. I also want you to do a hard reset, sometimes that's all it takes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did a hard reset last night but got no positive results.. I am inclined to think there might be a fan in that machine that is not moving the heat buildup out of there. I am not a tech and for all I know, there might not even be a fan in there but if I turn it off for 15 or 20 minutes it will then start back up and work fine until it cuts out again. I am an Amateur Radio operator (HAM) and some of the radios have a fan that switches on when it goes into transmit mode. My VHS radio has a big heat sink built into the housing. I am just saying that could be a possibility too.
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

There are heat sinks, but most models don't have a fan. You can remove the cover by removing the screws from the bottom of the piano to take a look, but I don't believe that model has a fan. If a fan went out, there would be a sensor that shuts down the entire piano. Since the other functions work, it's telling me that a processor is getting hung up. Wouldn't you agree that an hour is a long time for a fan not to work? It's the IC that sends signal to your amp circuits that is getting stuck. That would explain why everything else works. The IC that is after the motherboard, tone generator and processing mixes all of the audio and sends it to your amp circuits. If that gets stuck, it results in no sound.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, I am in SE North Carolina Wilmington to be exact. Do you have any information of a Kurzweil repair service that is a reasonable distance from me??? The only one I know about is sweet water Sound in Fort Wayne Indiana. That is where I purchased this keyboard.
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

These are the three closest service centers:

Name:Commercial Audio Inc.

Address*****/p>

Location:Myrtle Beach SC 29577 United States

Phone:843/448-5030

Email:*****@******.***

Website:www.commercialaudio.us

Name:Pro-Audio & Keyboard Service Center

Address:3021-1 Stoneybrook Drive

Location:Raleigh NC 27604 United States

Phone:919/872-5119

Email:*****@******.***

Name:Tritech Electronics, Inc.

Address*****/p>

Location:Greensboro NC 27405 United States

Phone:336/335-3176