jaimzness, Engineer
Experience:  DAW and MIDI techniques. Keyboard and synthesizer programming. Electronic repair.

I'm producing hiphop music in FL studio and am looking for a

Customer Question

I'm producing hiphop music in FL studio and am looking for a technique so the drums cut through the mix while composing. Meaning when a drum hits it will cut out all other sounds until the hit is finished. I know this can be done by turning polyphony to 1 in the channel settings but this only seems to effect sounds in that channel and not all the channels combined.
Is there a global setting for polyphony in FL studio or is there another way to achieve this using a gate, compressor or limiter in the master channel?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

I suspect that you cannot do what you are asking about without a special switch added in, perhaps sound triggered, to produce the cutoff... or, of course, multi-channel editing.

What version of FL Studio are you using, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Thanks. I will research how to get done what you are asking about. There may be a way... but before I go do the research, please tell me whether you're running FL Studio on an Apple, or on a Windows PC? in case it might matter.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Windows 10
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess I can make sure in the piano roll that notes don't overlap with the drums but i'm wondering if there's an automatic way

The only thing like a way to do what you want, that I can find so far, is to somehow combine the Channel Volume, and the snap-to or something similar, so that the Channel Volume (for all channels but drums' channel) will be suddenly diminished to minimal volume, in sync with the drumbeats.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I'll work on that. Thanks for the quick response

You're welcome. If I can think of something else to suggest, I'll post it.

(Let me know what results there are from my suggestion, please.)