Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming
14666028

Name 3 technicians with their current usable phone numbers

Customer Question

Name 3 technicians with their current usable phone numbers and email addresses who would be willing to take the songs/data off the floppy disks of my Roland W-30 and convert them to mp3s on a portable drive and give them back to me. Prefer South Florida.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Hi. Is there a problem with your Roland? Or just the floppy drive?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Martin.
I am not interested in using my W-30 to do anything. The drive is failing, yes. I am done with it. I might be interested in giving you the W-30 if you get all my music off for me.very little, all on floppy disks. But I can't talk to you like this because I'm not paying yet. (:))
I want someone to do it for me. My machine plays but the reader is failing. As I said, I'm not interested in anything other what my question said.
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Can you tell me the town you live in (i will try to find the nearest to you). I was asking about the problem because there is now floppy emulators flash based can can replace old floppy and are lot more reliable.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When you say emulator do I need a keyboard for it? I don't have one. Anything between Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach might work. Between Delray Beach and Deerfield Beach would be better. But the emulator only works if I have a system in which to put it, right? The material on the disks needs some software to convert it to music which, without the keyboard, I don't have.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
or not?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you know a floppy emulator that can read whatever format I have on these disks? I have one that reads nothing. But it's probably old. I'm not even sure of the file extension of these files. Roland can't tell me. Can you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wait. Don't answer that. I can only get 1 question to a job, right?
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

All what we talk about here as long as it is related count as one question for me. I don't know either the file format. Perhaps if we could mount the disk (let say it si simple fat32) we may try to play files in VLC or a midi/MOD player.

As for the floppy emulator, those are hardware replacement going into the keyboard. They are usually not that expensive and you should be able to use a disk image on them (not needing to know the disk structure). You can probably write the image of that floppy with DD or RawWrite.

I will check later if i can find someone near you that might able to do what you want.

Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Here is a video overview of how the floppy emulator replacement work with the W-30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lQBq2kYlkA

Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Here is 3 places that might be able to help. It depend if they have in store a W-30 or something close enough to extract the data or know a good customer that may be able to help. Other than that there is always the possibility to contact an owner on youtube and manage to have them make the mp3 (that part is easy once you have a working W-30).

http://www.floridaelectronics.com/index.html

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kasche-piano-and-organ-west-palm-beach

http://www.audiomagnetics.com/

Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

In fact, if they even just have a floppy emulator and you can bring the keyboard, it make it also possible.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not interested in calling 3 places that you have not called. I want the name of someone who will do this for me, not the names of people who own music stores or audio businesses. My query was to get the names of people who would do the work. Can you help with this? There are lots of websites of people who know nothing about anything this old. I wanted you to find me a specialist.
Thanks.
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

I can try to contact Jim Atwood (the guy in the video i linked). It may take a little time that said before he answer back. I am sure he can do it, does he have the time, for that we need to contact him to know for sure. He sure have all the hardware to do that. You would only have to email him an image disk of the floppy and he could email you back the mp3. So, this is your call. In case you want to contact him directly to speed things, you can get to him from his youtube channel or by email at***@******.***

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have contacted him before and gotten no reply. I contacted a second time yesterday, not from your referral. If you want to try to contact him on my behalf, go for it. If he responds to me from my query, I cannot pay you. If he contacts me because of you and says he will do it, I will be thrilled to pay you.I did take the cover off the W-30 I have that doesn't work to see the SCSI connection yesterday. Can I put a
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
disk into a floppy disk emulator or do I need to have the information already loaded to an SD card?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your kindness. Hope we can get my answer. Of course, I don't need 3 people if 1 says yes. ;)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But my ask was for 3 because 1 could be in a country difficult to access for me.
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

The best is to not send a floppy by mail, just to send an image disk by email. That way it won't be damaged by a metal detector.

Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

You can't put a floppy in an emulator, only an image disc. You create surch an image disc with a computer with a floppy drive and someting like raread (i am not sure if we can also create one with rawrite), dd or winimage.

If jim did not answer you, he have no more chance to answer me. That said he is not alone with a W-30 i guess, so you may ask on synth forum for someone with one and a floppy emulator.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK. So, no answer for me. Thank you anyway. How do I close this without submitting payment?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is not that you were bad. You did not supply my answer. So I don't want to rate you bad, but I am not obligated to pay you because you did not give me an answer. So what do I do? Thanks.
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

You can request a refund of the deposit. In that time i will opt out of the question hoping someone here have a W-30, if the moderators would put your question in the general category it would increase the chance greatly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** really appreciate it.