ITPeter, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years' experience in installing and repairing electronics.

I have a question regarding buzzing, static noise, humming

Customer Question

I have a question regarding buzzing, static noise, humming and slight squeaking sounds just before engaging/the selection of an FX while using the FX selection portion of my ASR 10 Rack Mount. These aggravating unwanted sounds are ruining my tracks. They are heard when a key wav is pressed from the controller and also if I simply record a sequence and play it back. These unwanted sounds are not heard when the FX is off and the instruments are playing DRY. This tells me that it is in the FX some how.
The electronic repair shop supposedly replaced the power supply thinking it was the issue this did NOT resolve the problem and I am very unhappy about it.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Hi Toni,

Static, buzzing and humming from the unit can be caused by earthing problems within the unit, or with other equipment connected to it.

Sometimes currents flowing through the ground line can generate a signal seen by another part of the circuit sharing the same ground. In other words, if there are two identical signal paths within a circuit, they can form a loop which can result in hum or noise. Try using the unit at a different location, and disconnect any other unnecessary equipment from the same power circuit, and let me know if that helps.

The unit is also sensitive to sharp peaks and drops in the AC line voltage, so if you aren't already using a line conditioner you should consider getting one - it will protect the unit against high or low line voltage spikes and ensure the power supply is smooth, or "conditioned".

Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips greatly appreciated :)
Alternatively, please reply back if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.