ITPeter, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years' experience in installing and repairing electronics.

Why won't my TD-8 drum module make any sounds. Even when I

Customer Question

Why won't my TD-8 drum module make any sounds. Even when I press trigger on the module, no sounds.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Are you using headphones or an amplifier?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried both Amplifier and Headphones. Neither one makes a sound.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Approximately how old is the module?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The module is approximately 5 years old. It's also showing Low Backup battery!
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Ok, the "Backup Battery Low" message is an indication that the internal battery is running down.

The battery is a CR2032 type battery and can be found at most all electronic supply stores or online.

The internal battery is mounted on the main circuit board and the TD-8 would need to be disassembled to access it.

To fix the sound problem, try plugging and unplugging headphones several times in quick succession and let me know if there is any change?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did like you said and plugged and unplugged the headphones, still no noise. I used the output L and R channels and the headphone out jack, still no noise. I haven't changed the battery yet, but that shouldn't affect the sound out. It still comes up and gives me all the options of drum sets, and patterns, but no noise. Anything else that you could recommend. I've reset it to factory specs a couple of times, but still no output!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've now replaced the battery and am not getting the "Backup Battery Low" message, but still no sound. I've tried all the functions on the main console, and songs works you can see the measure indicator advancing when I press the play button. The light comes on when I press the Preview button. I've tried all output jacks with both headphones and amplifier. What else can you recommend to get sound out.
damian rotolo***@******.***
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Hi Damian,

If you are still getting no sound, then the module has a fault, possibly with the sound amplifier circuitry, and it will need to be returned to Roland for repair.