ITPeter, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years' experience in installing and repairing electronics.

Push record letter and #goes to the location pulls the

Customer Question

push record letter and #goes to the location pulls the record starts to play and stops then puts the record back at the location without playing the record. Has no memory for record locations after it gets the first location?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Hi Gene,

What is the make and model number of the device please?

Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I haven't heard back from you yet - please reply and let me know if you still need assistance with this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
IT IS A Seeburg stereo LS1.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been checking and waiting for your answer every hour on the hour. is there a problem or $28.00 is not enough to get a response to my question? Well I will be gone until Tuesday if no answer by then I would like a refund . IT IS A SEEBURG STERO LS! 1968!!!
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for replying back to me. You were offline when I responded yesterday.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

There are a number of possible causes of this problem.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

First, there is a ‘Safety Plunger’ mechanism which checks for warpage damage to the record.

The Safety Plunger is mounted at the rear of the carriage, on the side facing the record magazine. When the record is in the process of being transferred back into the magazine, the Safety Plunger is released to move into the area formerly occupied by the record. A warped record will prevent this from happening, so the clutch cannot shift back into scan, resulting in the record being transferred into play again. This will repeat until the obstruction is removed or the power is turned off. Years of inattention, no cleaning and no lubrication will result in what lubrication is left turning into a sticky mass which prevents free movement of the Safety Plunger, duplicating the action of a warped record. The solution is to dis-assemble that portion of the mechanism (usually requiring that the magazine be removed to gain access), clean away the ‘gunk’, lubricate and re-adjust whatever was dis-assembled. The mechanism Operation and Adjustments manual for your jukebox does a very good job of detailing which adjustments affect others, and which adjustments must be correct before making another. Before attempting to clean up your mechanism, get a copy of this manual. Before cleaning the mechanism, remove the motor, trip solenoid, cartridge, trip switch, and memory unit. Use a water-based degreaser followed by plenty of fresh water, and make sure it dries completely before doing anything else.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Secondly, the mechanism trip solenoid is used to trip from scan into play and from play into scan. Therefore there are two circuit paths to energize the solenoid, one for Select Trip and the other for reject (or Mute) Trip. There are wiring differences between mechanisms used in the various jukeboxes, so check your service manual. Generally, a mechanism switch is closed in play to complete the record reject path from the amplifier's Mute Trip Relay. Another switch, is closed in Scan and Transfer to energize the Mute Trip Relay, which mutes the amplifier so that all the clicks and pops of record transfer are not heard. If either switch is misadjusted so that both are closed at the beginning of record play, the record will reject as soon as the tonearm sets down.
Another switch is mounted on one side of the tonearm Cradle Frame. It closes when the tone arm reaches the lead-out groove of the record, to begin the transfer cycle to put the record back into the magazine. If this switch is shorted, or the cabling between it, the reject switch in the Volume Control Assembly, optional PRVC, or the Mute Trip Relay in the Amplifier is grounded this can occur. To check for this, turn the power off and manually put the mechanism in play with a record on the turntable. Turn the motor coupling until the tonearm just sets down, and rotate the coupling a few turns more to insure that the mechanism is completely in play. Use an ohmmeter set for continuity to check between the non-grounded end of S1103 and ground. If there is continuity, either a switch is misadjusted, or a switch or the wiring is shorted. To narrow down the cause, eliminate the amplifier/volume control from consideration by unplugging the Mechanism cable (usually a 6-pin orange connector) from the amplifier. If the short goes away, the problem is in the amplifier, volume control, or PRVC.

If that does not resolve the issue, then the problem is in the mechanism itself.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Another possibility is a problem caused by the Tormat Write-In, Read-Out, or Trip circuits. To troubleshoot this, first, check the Write-In voltage (usually labeled 'Write-In Source' on the control center or selection receiver test terminal strip). For the digital machines (black/gray or red boxes), the voltage measured at this point will be about +125 VDC. For the solid-state machines, this voltage will be +395 VDC or +150 VDC depending upon model and number of selections. For the tube-type machines, this voltage will be -300 VDC. The Techie Stuff section of this website talks about how the Tormat works, so you should check it out before proceeding. If you measure significantly less than the correct voltage, check the Write/Read supplies in the control center or selection receiver. Given the symptom, it is probably reasonable to assume that the other supplies are functioning properly, but it doesn't hurt to check them, too. There should be test terminals for these supplies on the same terminal strip.

Disconnect the RCA plug sense loop connector from control center or selection receiver. Connect the negative side of a C or D cell battery to the center pin of the plug, while grounding the positive side of the battery to set all toroids to the selected state. (Note that if you use this procedure on a tube-type jukebox, you must reverse the battery connections.) Plug the sense loop connector back in and manually scan the mechanism. It should now trip at each record, transfer, and play it. Upon reject, the mechanism will move to the next record, and repeat the cycle. If this does not occur, the problem is in the Read-Out or Trip Circuits. If operation is normal, the problem is in the Write-In circuits, which will need repairing.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question, do you need any further assistance?