Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

How to connect a Tascam DR-44 WL recorder to mixing board in

Customer Question

How to connect a Tascam DR-44 WL recorder to mixing board in detail, including microphones, xlr cords and the correct levels on both devices.
I want to record my band practices and live gigs.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

A DR-44 is a digital recorder. Connection would depend upon what mixing board you are using, specifically, and also, for what purpose - to playback from the DR-44, or to record to the DR-44 through the mixing board ?

The correct levels on both devices will be something you will have to find for yourself, inevitably - but, if you start at low volumes and work upward, you are likelier to find a satisfactory level quickly enough, than if you were to start at louder volumes and work downward, I think.

XLR cords are grounded audio cables with stereo capability - two-channel that is. What do you need to know about them?

The right microphone for the TASCAM DR-44 is a good question. It has two XLR inputs - microphones could be plugged into those, but they are more suited to the line out from a mixing board. The inputs are not high-impedance, which may affect your options of what to connect to them.

And it has built-in microphones for sure, though they are slightly prone to hiss.

There is a control app, that you may find much easier to use to change settings on the TASCAM recorder, from a smartphone, than using the TASCAM's own controls, which can be rather slow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good morning Russell,
I have a Behringer Europower PMP 6000 mixing board. Is it possible to get a diagram showing where to connect the 1/4" cables from the recorder to the mixing board?Thanks! Gayle

It depends upon what sort of 1/4" cables they are - are they XLR cables?

And, it depends upon whether you want to record TO the Tascam... or record WITH the Tascam from the mixer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will be using 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS balanced cables to record to the Tascam from the mixer. My question is, where do I plug the cables into the mixer.

The TASCAM recorder has two built-in microphones at one end. They're obvious enough, they project from the 'top' end of the recorder.

The other end of the recorder (the 'bottom' as I see it but the manuals term it differently), at the other end from the microphones, has the two TRS input jacks. And not much else, on that end.

1/L is one of those inputs, the other is 2/R. Left and right channels in short.