Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Tascam 2488 digital portastudio question: #1- I recorded a

Customer Question

Tascam 2488 digital portastudio question:
#1- I recorded a practice session containing 5 songs in one file thinking I could break it down into 5 separate songs to then be edited and copied to disk. I have not been able to find a way to do it yet. Is there one?
#2- I did pre-master the first tune of the session and copied it to disk but the file was a .cda. Are there other formats? Or how do I convert it to mp3 or something I can use?
Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that, if you did the 5 songs in the file simultaneously (and that would sound odd) any hope of separating them is just not there. Of course.)

But, if you performed and recorded them like this:

song1..... song2....... song3... song4............. song5.......

then yes, they can be separated... or, the file can be 'chopped up' into 5 pieces, each with its particular song in it.

But the best thing to do, is to convert the recording to a high-quality WAV file, first. WAV files can be divided easily, you see: they have no header, and they aren't encrypted either.

Does this sound right to you?

If so, what file format is the 5-song file in, currently? (If in several copies in different file formats or file types, what file types are they in total?)