Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

How to change the right side panel on a roland fp50

Customer Question

Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is the right-side panel you speak of, the one on the right-hand end? or is it the right side of the upper panel with the controls and indicators mounted on it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the new part from Roland. It's the hand end part.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right Hand plastic end.

OK, I understand.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Look at the new right-hand end. Any holes in it for screws, will have to have corresponding screws removed from the Roland device before the original right-hand end part may be removed from the keyboard in general.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The New Part has 8 screw holes. The issue is opening up the keyboard. Roland did not give the procedure to access the inside of the keyboard. Obviously the keyboard must be opened first to change any part so I don't want to force open anything.

OK. And that's a good cautious approach that you should stick to.

You may have to do considerable disassembly. The back case or the bottom case may have to come off first... and so all its screws would have to be removed first.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay!
Isn't there a schematic online? All I received with the keyboard were function settings, etc.

It's possible that the 8 screw holes are structural. That is, that they attach the right-hand end piece to the main chassis (structural basis) of the whole keyboard. So that the keyboard's skeleton inside, might be seen as

first the chassis

then the two ends attached to it

then the outer case (back side and/or bottom side attaching to the chassis and also the keyboard parts attaching to the chassis.)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The problem is removing the outer chassis.

I have searched for disassembly information, or at least a service manual that might show how its parts fit together, and have found no source of such information, regrettably.

Removing the outer case is simple enough. Remove *all* case screws. A part of the case *will* become loose, and be removable.

Then more screws or other fasteners will become removable, and so on. The device had to be assembled; disassembly is just the reverse of that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What a production! Maybe I'll leave well enough alone since there are 2 small screw marks that were from the carrying case with wheels that I placed extra padding in and haven't experienced any other screw marks. You're right, there are no "Service Manuals" on the Internet for this instrument.
Thanks Russell

Look for little rubber circles on the underside of the case. If removed, screws will be under them.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All the screws were removed on the underside of the case except for 6 screws that go into what appears to be plywood. There are no little rubber circles, just screws. I think that I'll let everything "rest" and not damage the keyboard.

Why not the 6 plywood screws?