Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

We bought a Costco piano Behringer concert CDP 2000 and

Customer Question

We bought a Costco piano Behringer concert CDP 2000 and about 6 months after purchasing some of the upper black keys and a few of the others have stuck. I have only one child that plays and since this problem started she doesn't want to play. Is there any way we can fix the stuck keys? Or are we just screwed by Costco again?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The year warranty is over. My daughter still played until there is now several that stick or just don't play. I miss hearing her play
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Perhaps the keys can be replaced / repaired. That is standard enough with any keyboard instrument of this sort that has a defective key or two.

Would you want to undertake such a replacement of keys yourself? or would you prefer to have that done for you by someone in your region?

If so, please tell me your local zip code, or town/city and state. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We could try to replace ourselves but don't know where to go from here. We live in a rural area and don't wanna pay a repairman to come so far.

I see.

Replacing keys is a matter of (summed up)

1. opening up the keyboard - in some cases, the outer case needs to be taken off. (In other cases, though, the individual keys can be remoted, exposing the keyswitches below them, without removal of the outer case at all. I'm not sure which type yours is yet...)

2. taking off the key (that your fingers touch when playing) from the whole keyboard.

3. assessing whether the keyboard is damaged inside, or whether the keyswitch (a sort of small button that the keys your fingers touch press on) is in need of replacing, or only the key parts above the keyswitch.

4. taking appropriate action.

But there is a step to try before those steps: taking compressed air and spraying into the cracks between the keys that aren't sounding and the adjacent keys. An air compressor of the sort used to fill tires can be used for this (provided it is used in a clean area and does not suck up dust and introduce it into the keyboard.)

Press down keys adjacent to the ones that don't sound, and with the compressor, spray air into the cracks between the depressed keys and the not-sounding key.

That sort of forced-air cleaning can revive a clogged keyswitch that has gotten dust or crumbs into it. (If it revives your keyboard, then a caution against ever eating anywhere near it, would be appropriate.)

Let me know what you think of this. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok first tried blowing out didn't work. Now we are going to try to take the piano apart. After all if we can't fix it we will sadly have to get rid of it. That's why I'm trying all I can do. Are their replaceable keys?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also my zip code is 84790
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

I have found no sources whatever for dead Behringer keys or keyswitches. I'm sorry, really. But at least two reviews have had very unfavorable things to say about the Behringer out-of-warranty experience.

Casio and Yamaha are better names for electric/electronic pianos. Just to mention that in passing. And their provision for out-of-warranty repairs are better for sure.

As for your region and Behringer out-of-warranty repair servicing....

...what I find upon some searching is, pretty much nothing! I am astonished, even with the unfavorable accounts I have read already.

But if there are no parts available, then doubtless no one can advertise that they repair Behringer pianos.

I really am sorry to have these results and no others. This is very unusual... there's generally *something* that can be pointed to, or something that can be done. Not in this case, though.

Since, doubtfully, another Expert here might have more to find, or more to suggest (than just repeating what I have already said), in the way of Utah-based Behringer piano repair, or parts availability for such repair, I have Opted Out - with apologies.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well I guess no review for you and to think I paid for this help. Ridiculous!