Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Rodgers Cambridge 735 and I believe it needs a new

Customer Question

I have a Rodgers Cambridge 735 and I believe it needs a new battery for the memory circuits. Is that something we can do oourselves? Where is the battery located? What battery is used?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Instrument Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Is there anything else the Instrument Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Everything else seems to be fine. Just the complaint that the memory will not maintain its contents when the organ is turned off.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Instrument Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That battery should be replaced while the organ is powered On, if you have anything stored in the memory card that you would wish not to be lost while the old battery is out and before the new battery is in. Leave the memory card in the organ while you replace the battery in it, to preserve what is stored on the memory card from being lost.

The battery is a 3 V lithium battery that is reported to be Radio Shack # *****

Open the battery compartment on the front edge of the card (observe precautions above, etc.), remove the old battery, place the new one in the compartment with the same orientation or polarity (so be sure to observe the old battery's polarity and orientation as you remove it). And close the battery compartment.

If this answers your question in full, and completes the case, please rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok, I understand that. The main thing I need to know is the location of the battery. I have been unable to locate it. Which card in which box within the organ? jdk

The plug-in User Memory Card, contains the battery.

The battery should be accessible while the card is plugged in, by opening the battery holder that is on one edge of it.

I admit that I don't know where it is precisely, I'm sorry to say.

This is, at least, what it looks like:

http://www.churchkeyboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Personal-Memory-Card-191x300.jpg

but I cannot find any picture of its slot.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not trying to be difficult but again, my main question is the location within the organ of the card the battery is in. Without that, I cannot proceed. jdk

I understand. The problem is a matter of some difficulty, rather than you yourself.

OK: I also need to know: Was I sidetracked by the mention of a battery for the Personal Memory Card ? you say you believe a battery needs changing. What made you think so? it might matter to getting the best answer to your question.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Like I said earlier, the contents of memory is not maintained when power is removed from the organ. Everything else seems to work fine (based on input from our organist). jdk

Then probably the slot with the card in it needs to be found.

Do you recognize the Rogers Personal Memory card I got a picture of ?

It will be in a slot somewhere in the organ, with a dead battery in it. Pull a card like that out of a slot in the Rogers organ, when the organ is Off, and you can replace the battery in it once you have identified it - the battery's dead anyway, and you have lost the data on the card already anyway.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think we are making any progress. Is there anyone else who can tells us the location of the card/battery in the organ? I do not want to go on a fishing expedition to open up metal boxes or pull cards randomly to locate the relevant card. I was hoping for a photo or at least a description of where specifically in the organ to find the battery and/or card it is on.

Here's the word on where to look:

The Personal Memory Card slot is located

just below the lower manual, near the General Cancel piston.

And it is a credit-card-sized memory card. Not larger, not much smaller.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is accessible from the front (playing) side of the organ and removal of the back of the organ to get to all the electronic boxes and boards is not necessary?

Yes. It is a user-usable user-friendly memory card. Made to be convenient, not inconvenient.

Can you find the slot it ought to be in, now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not right now. I am not at the church where the organ is located. I'll have to go there and give it a look. I plan to be there on Friday. I'll let you know what I find.

OK. Let me know, please. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was able to look at the organ today and tried to find the memory card. I could not. I went over every square inch of the front of the organ, especially near/under the lower keyboard. I was unable to locate what I need to find. Are there any pictures available?

I suspect that your model doesn't have such a slot if you look in the right place and cannot find one.

Did you find the General Cancel piston, at least?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I seem to remember that there was a cancel button under the lower manual at the far right end.

Then the slot for the memory card, if it exists on your model, should be there, 'near the General Cancel piston', is the word on it.

If it doesn't exist, you organ has a battery somewhere else that needs changing, and is not user-serviceable in all likelihood, in which case calling in a Rodgers organ servicing pro from your area would be advisable. If you wish to pursue that option, please let me know your local zip code, and I will look up listings for nearby specialists that you could call upon.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can call a service men. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Can you photograph (e.g. with flash) the cancel button's region?

And post me the photograph. I can judge from that as to what the situation is, with regard to a memory card battery at least, for certain.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll get a photo tomorrow.

OK, thanks, that'll be fine.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unable to get photo today. Will try again on Monday.

Monday (or Tuesday, too) will be fine. Get a photo and post it to me at your convenience. Thanks.

Thank you, ***** ***** received the photo...

... and the third one reveals two things that the edited version I have attached, with two red arrows, and with one blue arrow added to point out what I noticed:

- the red arrows point to what looks sort of like a memory card slot. Is it a slot? or a solid plate?

- the blue arrow points to near the General Cancel button, where there is a 'Rodgers' plate... perhaps the normal position of the memory card slot was there, and in your organ, it is different or was modified?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm back in town. Nothing behind the Rodger's brass plate except solid wood. The vertical plate has what looks like a series of lights or LEDs behind it. I took the front plate off to check it out. It is not a memory card. I did not see anything in the manual about it. I know of no modification of the organ and I've been around the church since it was purchased.

Then I am sorry to say that it appears I have failed at advising you on this case.

What's left that I could offer? I can't think of anything. So with apologies, I must just Opt Out and open the case to other Experts in this category.

(The last thoughts I would have on this problem are: Would you prefer local help with this problem? from a Rodgers specialist in your region, preferably. And would a service manual seem worth checking out or paying a little for? if I haven't already done a search for the service manual for this model of Rodgers organ...)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My plan at this point is to go to local service representative. We do need to get this fixed for an upcoming wedding. jdk