Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I've got a 70's Fender precision bass that just cut out. I

Customer Question

I've got a 70's Fender precision bass that just cut out. I thought it was the jack input plug so I replaced the original with no success . upon further consideration I would like to keep the original jack input plug ( as it is a vintage all original bass) can you give me an easy, step by step troubleshooting chart ??
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.Sorry for the wait. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.
This may be a case where it just needs to be cleaned ornthe contacts bent inward, but if you need replacement parts for the jack, you can get then here....
http://bitli.es/czhVNU
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool . Ive got a couple of other irons in the fire today . When I get time I'll shoot you a picture of my multi-meter. perhaps you can show me the correct setting for checking circuits on the bass. I really want to use the stock ," switch craft " jack . You know how important it is to keep a vintage instrument stock.. Thanks for your quick response Michael...,.
that would be the best thing. In this case, you will most likely continuity on the contacts for the jack first... that would be the weakest point and the easiest to troubleshoot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Michael,
I'm a rank amateur when it comes to this stuff . So I need a walk through on how to check continuity. I have a meter but really need to know how to set it up to check continuity. I'll shoot you a few picture & we can get started .. Thanks BD