ITPeter, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years' experience in installing and repairing electronics.

I have a Hammond Sk1 about 3 years old. At my last gig we had

Customer Question

I have a Hammond Sk1 about 3 years old. At my last gig we had someone kick the power cord and flashed the power. Now my Sk1 will not power up. The LCD does light up, but only has real dim row of single black squares. None of the buttons red lights ever blink or light up. The power supply is good as I have a backup and both do the same thing. I don't seem to be able to do a master reset by holding the record button while powering up. This does nothing. Also tried to do a complete reload of the latest firmware from the Hammond site using the usb flash drive by holding the control, song and play while powering up but this does nothing also. It seems like the entire console is not work as none of the lights ever blink or turn on. Pressing any buttons does nothing. The usb flash drive was in the unit when this happened. Acts like it has lost the boot memory process. I have checked all ribbon cables for connection and all looks good. I did not see any fuses of any kind. Also did not see any batteries of any kind. I thought maybe a small watch like battery may be bad as a lot of mother boards have these. It appears this unit must have a solid state battery of some type. Do you have any suggestion as to anything else I may check. Thank You Craig Beam
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  ITPeter replied 6 months ago.
Hi Craig,The software on the Hammond may have gotten corrupt by the sudden flash of power.Possibly a voltage spike has caused hardware damage as well.Since a master reset does not help, you will need to send the keyboard to a repair center for investigation: