Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have a TASCAM music trainer I've mounted in my car. I have

Customer Question

I have a TASCAM music trainer I've mounted in my car. I have a cigarette lighter inverter into which I've plugged the trainer's TASCAM wall wort. Is this OK?
BTW, there's a slight, intermittent buzz when the inverter is plugged into the cig lighter.
Thanks!
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Yes, it's ok, but most small inverters produce dirty power, which can damage digital processors, and that's exactly what is causing the buzz. It's not going to hurt anything soon, and there's no better place to learn to sing than in your car (I'm a trained vocalist, I have thousands of hours of car lessons). That being said, you're not going to catch anything on fire, you'll just experience audio quality problems. If it burns up the CPU, you can use the warranty to replace it. Using a commercial inverter produces clean power, so keep in mind that if you upgrade your inverter, you can get pretty clean power out of it and clean up the tonal quality.