Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My Roland SPD-SX has been having trouble simply turning on.

Customer Question

My Roland SPD-SX has been having trouble simply turning on. The power cable appears fine. The power jack in back of SPD-SX appears fine. But it's taking me 5 scary minutes at gigs to get the thing to turn on. I'll plug/unplug the cable from the device several times, as well as doing the same on the other end - the power source. Last time, a little tap on the menu screen brought it up.
This is a big piece of my livelihood and I'm afraid my unit will fail at the worst possible time.
Is this a known issue, and do you have any suggestions?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. It sounds as if it *will* fail at the worst possible time, when it is needed. So taking care of the problem is essential, I would agree. It sounds as if the jack in back isn't fine, inside. Think about how many times you have plugged and unplugged that part in its lifetime. Think about whether it has ever been yanked on at any time, a cord that was plugged into it tripped over or similarly.It may be that the solder joints on the jack in back of the device are in need of re-doing. That's certainly what it sounds like, a first thing for an electronic tech to examine and repair if needed.There might be other things wrong of course. I suggest engaging a good Roland repair shop in your region. Let me know what your local zip code is, or town/city and state, so that I may recommend several to you, for you to contact.