Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a ROland FP 2 keyboard and an M Gear sustain pedal.

Customer Question

I have a ROland FP 2 keyboard and an M Gear sustain pedal. When I plug in the pedal, every note sustains, regardless of whether I press the pedal down or not. Only disconnecting the pedal stops the sustain. I have tried plugging the pedal in before turning the keyboard on; pressing the pedal as I turn the keyboard on, and plugging the pedal in after turning the keyboard on, and the problem continues. Thank you.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think the evidence is clear (that you have established thoroughly and set forth with such clarity): the switch inside the sustain pedal is stuck closed. I don't think anything else would explain it.

That can be confirmed with a voltmeter, set to Resistance or Ohms, across the pedal's jack, when it is unplugged and disconnected from the Roland keyboard. The reading ought to be very low resistance (about 0 to 20 Ohms or so), and it ought not to vary as the pedal is pressed or released.

Partial disassembly of the foot switch, and spray-cleaning it out with electronic contact cleaner spray or similar stuff (note: keep that spray away from other things than the foot switch! it's not good for everything by any means)... would be the right thing to try.