Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have a Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPro deck that I would like

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPro deck that I would like to connect to my Mac Pro tower through Final Cut Pro 7. I have not hooked this machine up in quite awhile, but I have a project that requires me to digitally capture DV tapes for editing...which is why I have revived some older hard and software. Can you help me get the deck to talk to my computer and the Final Cut Pro 7 program?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

Stage 1: Connecting a DVCPRO HD Device to Your Computer

Because DVCPRO HD is part of the DV/DVCPRO family of video formats, setting up Final Cut Pro to capture, edit, and output DVCPRO HD is essentially the same as setting up a system for any other kind of DV editing.

To set up your computer for DVCPRO HD capture and output

• Connect your DVCPRO HD camcorder or deck to your computer using a 4-pin-to-6-pin or 6-pin-to-6-pin FireWire cable.

For additional instructions for connecting a DV camcorder or deck to your computer, see the Final Cut Pro 7 User Manual.

For information about mounting a Panasonic P2 card for use with the Log and Transfer window, see Mounting P2 Cards, Disk Images, and Folders.

Stage 2: Choosing a DVCPRO HD Easy Setup

Final Cut Pro comes with several DVCPRO HD Easy Setups. Choose the Easy Setup that matches your source footage on tape. The 720p30, 720p25, and 720p24 Easy Setups remove duplicate frames during capture so that your media files have the proper frame rate. For more information, see Stage 3: Logging and Capturing Your DVCPRO HD Footage.

To choose an Easy Setup

1. Choose Final Cut Pro > Easy Setup.

2. Choose Panasonic DVCPRO HD from the Format pop-up menu.

3. Choose “(all rates)” from the Rate pop-up menu.

4. Click the Use pop-up menu to see all of the Easy Setups related to your choice in the Format pop-up menu.

You can further refine the list by choosing a specific frame rate from the Rate pop-up menu.

5. Choose an Easy Setup from the Use pop-up menu, then click Setup.