Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I spilt tea on the keyboard of my Clavinova and several of

Customer Question

I spilt tea on the keyboard of my Clavinova and several of the keys are now not playing, or playing intermittently, loud and soft. This happened last night, and I dried the keyboard out as much as was possible. Can you help? Is there a simple solution for this? The keyboard is a clavinova CVP98
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Is there any pattern as to which notes are out, or is it random?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The notes out or intermittent are from bottom C# ***** bottom F#
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Ok, I know what the likely cause is, are you able to open it up and do the repair yourself? (with my guidance of course...)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The notes If you let me know how to open it up. I tried removing the front panel last night to no avail.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have FaceTime if that helps
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

You'll need to remove all of the screws from the bottom of the keyboard, then the top console flips up to expose the keys. There are contact strips that are struck when you hit a key. Those strips send a signal to the tone generator that makes sound. When the contact strips fail, it causes intermittent key outages. They are a maintenance item and they are still available.

To get a new strip, call(###) ###-#### ***** through Friday, from 7:30AM - 5:00PM Pacific Time (closed 12PM - 1PM). Let me know if you have any trouble getting it open.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Rusty. Do I remove the front panel, or the bottom of the cabinet, which holds the speakers also?
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Which model Clavinova do you have? Click here, they are all about the same. Go to 1:04, and you'll see what I'm talking about. When you remove the screws from the bottom, the top flips up to expose the electronics. You'll see the contact strips on the back of the keys, no need to remove the front.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK Rusty, I've opened up the top of the cabinet, exposing the backs of the keys. What next?
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Did you find the contact strip? It's where the keys hit when you strike them.