Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My Roland fantom g8 keys have developed a ruff playing

Customer Question

My Roland fantom g8 keys have developed a ruff playing surface. I'm not sure if it is wear and tear or residue from my fingers. I'm the only one who plays it in a non smoking home, and I have few playing hours on it. The surface of the keys are feeling ruff instead of smooth and takes away from the experience. They are not discolored. It is only where the finger tips play (near the black keys and not on the periphery. I have tried cleaning the surface with water and now Windex vinegar for delicate surfaces without changing anything or the problem. Is this a function of the synthetic keys over time? Have you encountered this problem? Do you have any recommendations?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I have not heard of this problem, but yes, vinyl materials weather with time, esp. if exposed to finger oils and skin acids.

My own idea is, that you might want to put a trifle (a very small amount) of some relatively odorless oil (whose aroma you don't mind) on a clean cloth, and wipe those areas on the keys with it, now and then. That might 'fill in' the roughness, and also clean anything from your fingers that might cause further erosion of the surface.

On the other hand: if you use any sort of organic oil in this fashion, it may become rancid with time. Not a favor to do your keys to say the least.

And I advise strongly against using Windex or ammonia cleaners! they will erode your keys further, or otherwise alter them in ways that are not good.

A search for similar complaints or concerns about Roland Fantom keys turns up this:

http://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/a-cure-for-too-slippery-of-keys-please.26271/

which is about Fantom keys being too slippery - and mentions sandpapering them - and I'm not sure what to think. But if you use sandpaper, try it first on the least critical surface of the keys, a location you would not mind ruining, and see how damaging it can be, before applying it or trying it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Although I keep my fingernails trimmed, I'm wondering if it is not finger nail abrasion of the keys. Is that possible? Never happened in any other keyboard or piano I've owned. (I've had many but none with this Roland ivory feel composite ). I'm not a banger. Applying Oil doesn't sound like a good idea to me. May discolor or im not sure filling in ruff spots with oil is good for a player. I would never sandpaper the keys. I'm not sure what that other player could be complaint about as too slippery. These keys really were ivory-like. Perhaps Roland has heard of this. I certainly hope it is not from nail trauma but anything is possible. Let me know if you hear anything directly from Roland.

I think that applying cosmetic [something-or-other] to the fingers themselves, as suggested near the end of that referenced set of forum postings, might be what you need.

It's one approach to take.

As for info from Roland themselves, I have yet to hear or encounter anything.