Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

Kurzweil -pro Two iS. Doesn't power up. Is there a fuse

Customer Question

For a Kurzweil Mark-pro Two iS. Doesn't power up. Is there a fuse inside if so how do you disassemble? What else could be the problem if the fuse is ok?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you feel might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

Most Kurzweils do have a fuse in the back near the power cord - it is either round and next to it or rectangular and below it. I believe the Mark Pro Two is has it right below where the power plug goes - and it actually looks like part of the plug - rectangular right below the plug housing and a small place where you can pop it out using a screwdriver.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No such fuse receptacle exists on this unit this piano uses a separate 15 volt power pack which plugs into a small quarter inch diameter 15 volt receptacle on the back of the piano. If you would like me to I can send a pic but this particular piano does not have a visible fuse holder the power coming from the separate power pack was checked and does provide 15 volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried a second 15v power unit...same result. There is an audible hum coming from the speakers when the piano is powered up, but none of the lights nor the display lights up.

That would be helpful. Can you please attach a picture of the back? Just use the paperclip icon in the toolbar.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael, I have attached the pic of the rear apron of the Kurzweil. As you can see there is no fuse. Have you worked on these before? Before I open this unit up I just want to make sure there is a fuse inside or not. Also remember that I can hear a faint hum in the speakers when powered up indicating that the power amp is ok but the control circuitry is not powered. I don't have the tech manual hopefully you can help. If not please just say so and I'll proceed w/o assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW, I'm a repair tech specializing in other brands, Yamaha, Roland, Technics, etc. This is my first Kurzweil and just need a bit of assistance to save time. Thanks. Phil

OK. I see. Thank you. This one has the external power supply... huge difference from the one I was thinking of. Since I'm not sure about the fuse on this one, I am going to open the question up to all Experts to see if someone else has an idea. They will be able to see the picture as well, so I think that will be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK please ask the other person to respond asap as I need this repaired right away. Thanks, Phil