Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

Roland BK 5 keyboard. I am trying to get it to play one

Customer Question

Roland BK 5 keyboard. I am trying to get it to play one finger chords. I use split and LWR keys and have intelligent chords turned on in the arranger. I play the C key on the left side of the keyboard and it tells me on the screen I have played the C Chord.
But it does not sound like it to me. Just sounds like a plain C note.
Beginner. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you feel might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

You might not be doing anything wrong. Please try doing a factory reset as follows:

irst press the MENU button, select the “Factory Reset” entry by rotate the CURSOR/VALUE dial and then press the ENTER/SELECT button. When a message appears on the display, select “YES”, then press the ENTER/SELECT button to start the Factory Reset operation. The Factory Reset procedure is complete.

Let me know if that helps or changes anything and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried factory reset several times before. This inspired me to download the operating software from the Roland site and do a reinstall. No problems with the reinstall. However no change, problem remains.

Have you tried standard mode?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried standard and intelligent. Thanks.

It would have to be a case of understanding how it is meant to work. Can you provide an example of what you are pressing to make a chord?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The intelligent chords are listed at the back of the manual. I setup lwr part to be a piano. Up1 is a piano. I press the split and lwr keys and the keyboard splits at C4. Left side is dead until you press lwr. You can also adjust the octaves on both sides of the split.
When you press a C key on the left side of the keyboard the screen says you just played C Major and it shows three keys played on the display. Press D and you get the screen saying its a D major etc. But the sound is identical to a C note and say a D note. So the display indicates chords are being played but the sound is like I am playing notes not chords. ??

Do you have the latest system update from here?

http://bitli.es/75Qmb8

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I used that a few days ago. No change. Thanks.