Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Korg X3 that my children and I like to play with. I

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Korg X3 that my children and I like to play with. I don't know what happened while they were playing with it, but now there are two issues, first and most importantly all of the voices have an overlay of what sounds like distortion and sustain, with the sustain cutting off after about 2.5 seconds. In some headphones the sound in the left ear is perfect, while the right ear doesn't produce anything but the sustained distortion sound, although that sound is also pitched to the note played. With other headphones and speakers, voices through both R and L have a mix of the voice and distortion. I've tried a factory reset (ENTER and CURSOR DOWN then POWER ON), but that hasn't done anything to the distortion issue. The second issue is that the keyboard emits a low volume high pitched whine when the keyboard is on.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The high-pitched whine (which is quite abnormal) and the other symptoms not really sounding like a consequence of settings, altogether hint that the Korg has had an electronics failure. It's 'broken' in some fashion, among the chips that generate and amplify the tones, and will need electronics repair.

Where are you located? I can get you listings for places to take it for repairs.

And, how old is it? if young enough, it might be repaired for free under warranty terms.

Let me know, please. Thanks.