Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

The problem is I can't get effects (like reverb and

Customer Question

The problem is I can't get effects (like reverb and stereo chorus) on my vocals or my final mix in through my powered speaker. I have an older Mackie CR-1604 mixing board. As part of my system, I have a rack-mount Alesis MidiVerb III. I do have all the
technical schematics of how I'm supposed to hook it up. I have tried running two chords from L/R into the Mackie in a number of jacks without success. A friend suggested I buy a splitter cable, where I plug L/R into the Alesis, and then the single cable into
the Mackie, but that didn't work either. On the Mackie, I tried adjust the knobs, and on the far right, pushing the buttons on the Stereo Aux Returns, without effect. On the Alesis, the green (vocal signal) and red (cut-off) show the Alesis is getting a signal
when I test the different configurations I've tried. Getting vocals, drum machine, guitars, etc. through the keyboard to the powered mixer works perfectly. But the vocals are too dry. I know this is older equipment, but it works great, and until recently,
I have not needed to use the Alesis. In the past, another person hooked it up and had it working great. Rusty, you were successful in identifying the problem in my mix down from from my Roland 8-track HD VS-880, and I made my deadlines for this week's radio
shows with CBS. Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it. Tom Stienstra
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** can assist you with your question.

On this mixing board all the sends have a very wide range of gain. The first half of the controls rotation reaches from the off position to unity gain. This have to of the control signal range corresponds to the full range of a conventional mixer. The 2nd half of The controls rotation provides you with even more gain, from unity to +15 DB. For example, when you want a sound that is very wet, the extra grain allows you to bring the channel fader down in the sand further up so that the sound is condemned opposed predominantly of reverb return with less of the dry signal. So I would try adjusting that so the sand is turned up in the fader is brought down until you achieve the sound that you want. Please let me know if that helps or if you need additional information.