Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Yamaha PSR 9000 keyboard, want to convert from a

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha PSR 9000 keyboard, want to convert from a floppy disc to a USB drive. Can I just exchange the floppy disc drive to the USB drive without having to do anything else pertaining to the thumb drive?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suspect what you are trying won't work. Have you removed the floppy drive yet? you will find it has a very different interface indeed, an utterly incompatible interface... unless the USB drive you have bought to replace it is specially made for the purpose.

Please tell me more about what you are doing - esp. what maker and model # ***** USB drive is - so that I may advise you more specifically, perhaps.

(Note: yes, it is a good idea to format the USB drive in a computer, first... on occasion that helps a lot. In other occasions, you can make one that is bought pre-formatted and has never been used work... or format it on the musical instrument perhaps.)

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am using as hardware a Nalbantov USB stick drive. It is suppose to be fitted for my PSR 9000 yamaha keyboard. The unit is from another country so the instructions are awful. I did not install the hardware onto the keyboard as of yet. I am trying to setup the USB stick according to the hardware. The instructions stat the USB stick must be formatted in a special way with 100 sectors.I get to the 100 sectors but cannot post my files to any one of the sectors ex 001.I ran the hardware program with administrator rights as stated, formatted the USB stick, got the 100 sectors cannot post my files to any one sector. Says access denied what ever that means.Cannot open or save my files to any one sector.The 000-100 sectors remain empty.

The Nalbantov is a 'floppy drive emulator for Roland', so it should be right for the purpose.

What command or function exactly are you executing or trying to execute, just when the 'access denied' appears?

And, is the error message anything other than just 'access denied'? and where does that message appear?

Also, where are you trying to copy files from, from what machine, by what means, how is the Nalbantov drive hooked up when the access denied message appears?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The command I am trying to execute when "access denied" is save to sector. For example save to 001. That's when access denied comes up. The error message says only,"access denied". I am coping the files from a exployer file on my computer, trying to place them into a sector.The access denied appears right on the sector listing which shows all the sectors 000 to 099.I select sector 001 to save my files to that's when "access denied" appears cannot go any farther.I do not have the hardware installed in my keyboard as of yet because I cannot get the thumb drive set up.Every thing as of now is being worked on, on my computer only. I will not install the hardware until I get the thumb drive set up on my computer.What would happen if I loaded all my files onto the thumb drive which would be in alphabetically order, install the hardware on key board, put the thumb drive into the hardware[Emulator] what would happen? Why do I have to be my files into sectors?

Indeed. Why copy to sector when you could copy to files?

The 'access denied' may simply be because you are trying to use a utility to do sector copies to a USB drive. It may not work with them.

Let me know how it goes, when you copy to files on the USB drive instead, then use that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He tried his best but He did not know anything about saving to sectors. The project I was working on consisted of 100 sector files. I had trouble saving files to each sector. He said that I can format the normal way on my computer which you cannot do. It has to be formatted a special way which he could not help me on.If I loaded all my music files on one disc formatted the way he told me to, my hardware on my keyboard would not recognize the files. It had to be formatted in a special way which he was not familiar with. He was courtesy and tried but did not have any information on sectors.Could not help me.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

I have written programs that manipulate sectors, copy to sectors, copy from sectors, scan sectors for viruses, etc.

Since I cannot actually serve as an Expert to this customer, I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts, if they should wish to take on this customer's problem.