ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years' experience in installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have replaced the 3 volt combination action back up

Customer Question

I have replaced the 3 volt combination action back up battery in my Allen MDS55 and within a week or so I get the "Replace battery" message and then it goes dead. I have done this 3 times now and it is quite frustrating to reset all the Pistons and then lose a all the s things so quickly. Why would this battery be discharging so rapidly?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The battery contact terminals may be contaminated, causing a poor connection, so the device thinks the batteries are dead.

Test the batteries with a battery tester to confirm if they really are dead or not.

If the batteries really are dying quickly, then there is a short somewhere causing them to drain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The batteries are dead. I was really expecting a response from someone who is familiar with Allen organs I can figure out basic stuff without paying for it
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am familiar with these organs.

If the batteries are indeed dying quickly (and they are fresh and not out of date) then there is a short somewhere within the organ's circuitry causing it to quickly drain the backup battery. To find the cause of the short will require taking lots of test readings with a voltmeter on the board; alternatively the board could just be replaced.