Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have an SWR 550X Bass amp, and there seems to be a problem

Customer Question

I have an SWR 550X Bass amp, and there seems to be a problem in the bass eq circuit. As long as the "BASS" knob is turned all the way down things are fine, but if I add even a small amount of gain to the circuit, I get intermittent popping and booming distortion. Any suggestions as to the problem?
Rob
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

The first thing I would try is changing that potentiometer that is turning with the bass knob. It's possible that it's simply gone dirty or that it's failing and that will cause what you describe. You don't necessarily have to be moving the potentiometer for this to happen. But if it is set it's to an area that is damaged, you will get some very bad results like you explain.

Let me knowIf this answers your question or if you need additional information or troubleshooting.