MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Customer Service
Experience:  I repair the electronic end of most amplifiers and fix broken speaker systems.
11519491

I have a technics sx-pc8 piano that a friend gave me. It was

Customer Question

Hi - I have a technics sx-pc8 piano that a friend gave me. It was working fine before I got it and the first time I switched it on. Then some of the notes started playing a lot louder than others and then it started playing random notes all by itself. Now it doesn't do anything when switched on. Not sure if it was damaged during transportation or whether the power cord which was chewed by my friends rabbit (down to the wire) has shorted something. Any ideas? Cheers. Adam
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Adam, my name is Rusty. The power cord concerns me, that can cause multiple problems including fire. Let's start there. I'll need you to replace the power supply with an exact match to rule out the power as the problem.

When I initially read your question, the notes playing louder are caused by velocity sensitive pads that are struck when you hit a key, and they send a message to the tone generator to play a note either soft, medium or loud. When they wear out, they only play loudly. The pads can be replaced.

Once we know that the power supply isn't an issue, we can continue with the pads.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - yes, I did replace the power cord and there's no change. Still nothing...
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so it's still playing random notes? Do they play when you touch the keys, or not touching the keys?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there's nothing. At all. No notes, no random playing. Nothing when I hit any key.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

That's not a good sign, will the demo song or percussion play?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't even know how to do that as it stopped working as soon as I got it. Do you know? Sorry for the sporadic responses - we have a newborn baby so I'm responding in between feeds and sleeps!
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

I don't think I'm going to be able to help you with it. You first described a processor going out, which is BAD news for the piano. Now that it's not doing anything at all, I believe your motherboard has gone out. I'll open the question back up to all experts.

Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem

, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

How old is your Technics piano?

Also does it get a lot of use? And has this happened before?

And were there any power outages or surges that you may be aware of just prior to this problem?

Thank you

Tech Michael