Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Rusty, I have a Kurzweil Pc361 thats about four years old.

Customer Question

Hi Rusty, I have a Kurzweil Pc361 thats about four years old. Some of the category keys bring up incorrect functions. Also when I run the diagnostics I get a mara 1 sound rom checksum error
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for requesting me. That is not a good error, the rom chips are programmed at Kurzweil and they need to be soldered in with special equipment. Normally I'd be able to help, but in this case you'll need a shop. Which country ships to St Lucia? I can see if the chips are available, and can be shipped to your island.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The keyboard starts up normally and I normally use it in setup mode and never noticed anything wrong until another player was using it in program mode and tried to select a sound from the E Piano 2 bank and it went into edit mode. It's generally okay until I start pressing the bank select buttons.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Well, the factory reset is the thing that will clear up a temporary error, but be aware that you have part of your programming that is stored on failing electronics. This could stabilize and last for years and not worsen, or it could potentially continue to degrade. That's what you're up against. It won't hurt the piano to use it in its current state, but your ROM may continue to deteriorate, it's impossible to tell for sure.

Here's how the ROM works:

ROM is programmable, like a flash drive. The only difference is ROM is Read Only Memory, meaning it cannot be re-programmed. The ROM contains the operating system, different sounds, it's what loads parameters when you push different buttons, it's the long term system memory. If it continues to "forget", you may run into more problems.

Long story short, you're able to continue using your piano, normal use won't hurt it any worse than being in storage. Keep an eye out for other abnormalities, and if it starts to go out, we'll need to find you an electronics shop and a way to ship the chips to you. I'm not sure if this helps, but there is a Kurzweil shop in Brazil, +55 (11) 3527-6900. They will be the ones who can get you new ROM chips. They take about 2 hours to replace.